Thursday, November 20, 2008

Robert Polidori

I think Robert Polidori's photography is exceptional. I don't fancy myself a photography buff, so my opinion comes devoid of any expertise on the subject, but sometimes isn't raw, uneducated perception as meaningful? It's certainly as true.

Polidori has extensively photographed Versailles under restoration, New Orleans after the hurricane, Chernobyl and Havana. The juxtaposition he creates in his photography really hit me - for example, the pristine paintings in Versailles set against the worn, tarnished walls of the palace. (At times, the paintings in the photographs are so clear and vibrant it's hard to tell if the entire picture is, in fact, painted.)
I have always been fascinated by the contrast of old and new and, like many a naive traveler, returned from India with visions of a photography show centered around this very contradiction (so pervasive in India).

Here are a few of my favorite photographs. The opulent bed and stairwell against the almost generic, checkered, tile floor really speaks to me.




2 comments:

yaelatner said...

Wow Jess, so insightful. I actually really like the black and white checkered parquet flooring. The bedroom looks so empty and cold but I do like the blue walls. I am a sucker for baby blue. xx

Anonymous said...

I won't lie, at first it was the material that engaged me, but soon after, I realized that the comments of one Yaelatner are the true backbone to this blog.